[game_preservation] Battery Save Statistics?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 16 15:55:44 EST 2010

Devin,

I have not seen such a study. Keep in mind that some or most
institutions will remove batteries from anything in their collections
that is earmarked for long-term preservation. (To avoid potential
damage due to leakage, i.e. corrosion.) So I'm guessing that
availability of replacement batteries is probably a bigger issue than
longevity of the original ones.

Henry

On 11/16/2010 11:15 AM, Devin Monnens wrote:

> Does anyone have some concrete data on battery life for different

> systems and games? I think battery life is dependent on the factors of

> usage, age, and quality of parts (maybe also how the game uses the

> battery).

> I've noticed that many Pokemon Red, Blue - and particularly Crystal,

> Gold, and Silver - have failed batteries. I also know that many NES

> Zelda games no longer have working batteries. Many Capcom arcade

> boards have this problem as well.

> I was curious if anyone did a study on this to determine estimates for

> battery life of different games.

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

Curator for History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004