[game_preservation] GDC anyone?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 16 13:56:22 EST 2011

Probably a good time for a SIG reminder. Be there or be square.

If the right attendees are there, I am hoping Chris Melissinos will talk
about his Smithsonian exhibition, Alex Handy about the MADE project,
Rachel about PVW2. Any other suggestions for the agenda, besides the
traditional go around the table?

Henry

IGDA Game Preservation SIG: Annual Meeting
<http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/12314>*SPEAKER/S:*Henry Lowood
(Stanford University) <http://schedule.gdconf.com/speaker/Henry-Lowood>
*DAY / TIME / LOCATION:*Wednesday 10:30-11:30 Room 113, North Hall
*TRACK / FORMAT:*Game Design / Roundtable
projects of the last year, including the improvement of the SIG wiki and
blog, the memorial pages project, reactions to the White Paper, the
conclusion of Preserving Virtual Worlds and the opening of new projects
such as Preserving Virtual Worlds II, work at the Strong Museum of Play
and the National Videogame Archive in the UK. Attendees should be
prepared to discuss their own projects and ideas.
*TAKEAWAY:*Take away knowledge about practices that will help you
preserve your own game materials, manage your collection of games or
game artifacts, or work on the creation of an exhibit or museum/library
collection.
*INTENDED AUDIENCE:*Anyone involved in game design, production, asset or
software management, or marketing, as well as collectors, archivists,
museum curators and anybody else interested in game history.
*ELIGIBLE PASSES:*Main Conference Pass
<http://www.gdconf.com/attend/passes.html#2103>, Expo Pass
<http://www.gdconf.com/attend/passes.html#2105>, All Access Pass
<http://www.gdconf.com/attend/passes.html#2102>

On 2/16/2011 10:20 AM, Rachel "Sheepy" Donahue wrote:

> I'll be there! Getting in on Tuesday. I was definitely displeased with

> the program committee when I sat down to plan sessions. Especially

> with Data Management and the Prince of Persia post mortem being

> scheduled against the SIG. Mumble mumble.

> I would be down for a Skype meeting -- what about also doing an IRC

> channel?

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 01:30:04 -0500, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com>

> wrote:

>> Who all here is going to GDC? I managed to get a pass, so I will be

>> attending.

>> However, I'm really torn about some of the panels! Jordan Mechner's

>> talk is

>> simultaneous with the roundtable. And I really want to meet Jordan

>> Mechner,

>> as I taught his games and will be researching them further. And then

>> Eric

>> Chahi talks simultaneously with Retro Studios, and I want to meet

>> both as

>> well! (I also taught Another World and it will be an important piece

>> in a

>> book I want to write) So this last one will really be a tough call...

>> Thankfully, they'll be recorded, but there's nothing like meeting

>> them in

>> person.

>> Regarding the roundtable, are there any rules against Skype? It might be

>> helpful if we could get some people who couldn't make it to be

>> involved. And

>> it IS an IGDA function. Actually, come to think of it, I don't see

>> why we

>> couldn't hold a Skype meeting on a regular basis. Would something

>> like that

>> other people here would find worthwhile?

Curator for History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004