[game_preservation] Descriptive terms for Video Games

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri Jun 10 05:11:48 EDT 2011

I'd echo that MobyGames got it right even if you don't choose the same
wording (be it "Category" "Genre" or whatever); the in-game descriptions
of gameplay along with the more traditional story genres are both good
to use. If a catalogue system can accept them why not?

After all, while many researchers might have a field of gameplay type
("Strategy", "RPG", "Action"...) to look at, they also might cross
reference a specific story/setting genre ("World War 2", "Present Day",
"Fantasy"); combining both is powerful.

The problem is having both means lots of categories so it takes a while
to make sure every game fits. Wikipedia, Home of the Underdogs, and
other sites have issues - Mobygames and GiantBomb a bit less so
(although possibly miss some slightly newer definitions and categories;
I need to start compiling a megalist of them or something).

Andrew