[game_preservation] Descriptive terms for Video Games

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sat Jun 11 16:41:30 EDT 2011

Oh I agree absolutely Andrew; library systems existed before we had easy
to use electronic based databases, multiple categories should be the norm.

Andrew

On 11/06/2011 21:29, Andrew Perti wrote:

> It's my contention that we have to completely redefine categorization

> techniques for video games. Many games span several genres and

> placing any given game under a single subject heading by way of a

> "personal judgment call" is quite limiting. Using a single genre may

> have been necessary for physical cataloging and library systems to

> account for research and accessibility. We are now in a digital era

> and I feel as though a multifaceted approach is something that we all

> need to explore.

> Andrew Perti

> Founder | Seattle Interactive Media Museum

> andrew.perti at thesimm.org |www.thesimm.org

> Mobile: 518 653-5864

> On 6/11/2011 1:12 PM, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>> I found it hilarious to think that everything can be slotted in a 2d

>> wheel; like Pirates! and so many others, things simply can be of

>> multiple categories - they don't have to fit a nice neat pie chart! :)

>> If it's serious, Journalists sure do want to make it hard on

>> themselves don't they?

>> Andrew

>> On 11/06/2011 02:32, Rowan Kaiser wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what's wrong with calling Survival Horror

>>> "Action-Exploration." But I find it more interesting as an attempt

>>> to standardize all games within a conceptual framework. Given what a

>>> mess conventional genres are - go on, label Sid Meier's Pirates! -

>>> any attempt with a finished product is noble.

>>> Rowan

>>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Jim Leonard <trixter at oldskool.org

>>> <mailto:trixter at oldskool.org>> wrote:

>>> That looks like it was done for comedic effect. If not, then it

>>> has some odd choices, like Survival Horror being predominantly

>>> "Action-Exploration"? And Driving being

>>> "Action-Exploration-Conflict"?

>>> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_283/8400-Introducing-The-Escapists-Genre-Wheel

>>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Pugh, Richard

>>> <rpugh at loc.gov <mailto:rpugh at loc.gov>

>>> <mailto:rpugh at loc.gov <mailto:rpugh at loc.gov>>> wrote:

>>> Greetings all!

>>> Thank you for your suggestions; I'll be looking into them

>>> later this

>>> today. Some of you asked for additional information on

>>> our project.

>>> Generally these terms will be used in a subject or genre

>>> heading

>>> style. That is, when one searches the catalog by subject

>>> or genre,

>>> these headings will be referenced. For good or ill,

>>> these terms

>>> will be treated the same way as standard LCSH or LCGFH

>>> terms. As

>>> such, we're looking for descriptors like "First person

>>> action" or

>>> "Real time strategy;" terms that identify what a game

>>> "is" rather

>>> than what it's about. For that, we can usually find a

>>> workable

>>> LCSH; emphasis on "usually." Genres are a different story.

>>> As Mr. Handy pointed out, the LC model is not necessarily

>>> the best

>>> one. In this case that's probably true. However, NAVCC

>>> is part of

>>> LC, so we must use an LC-style approach. Internal

>>> politics are

>>> involved. Need I say more...?

>>> We're hoping that if we can build a thesaurus that is "LCSH

>>> compatible," the powers that be will accept it. Even so,

>>> we're

>>> expecting some resistance, because the use of non-LC

>>> terms (even

>>> http://www.allgame.com/genres.php

>>> Perhaps if we combine this with concepts covered in the

>>> other lists,

>>> we'll have a working base. I'm tinkering with the

>>> Allgame list at

>>> the moment, and it has promise. I'll let you know how it

>>> turns out.

>>> Richard J. Pugh

>>> Motion Picture, Broadcast, & Recorded Sound Division

>>> National Audio-Visual Conservation Center, Library of

>>> Congress

>>> http://www.oldskool.org/

>>> http://trixter.oldskool.org/