[game_preservation] Descriptive terms for Video Games

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 16 17:33:47 EDT 2011

All,

While the discussion has been great, not all of it is germane to the
original question of how to catalog items in a collection. There is a
difference between a level of description that allows collection users
to find (and discover) items and a perhaps more detailed level that
addresses conceptual points such as genre, game mechanics, etc. One way
to think of this is the difference between a library catalog and a
scholarly bibliography (and there are different kinds of bibliographies,
with whole books devoted to the techniques of description pertaining to
them). I guess my point is that genre is a fluid, debatable concept and
fertile field for discussion and difference of opinion, but I'm not sure
if a library or museum cataloger necessarily wants to spend a lot of
time figuring out exactly which genre applies to a given item. In the
Stanford Libraries' catalog, with millions of items, I wouldn't be
surprised if only a few thousand items have genre descriptors--which is
not to say that genre is unimportant for fiction, just that it is
usually not a necessary piece of information to describe a particular
book for the purposes of a catalog.

Henry

On 6/15/2011 7:20 PM, Rowan Kaiser wrote:

> What we need is a Pandora for video games.

> Rowan

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Jim Leonard <trixter at oldskool.org

> <mailto:trixter at oldskool.org>> wrote:

> On 6/15/2011 7:55 AM, Jan Baart wrote:

> - Action-Adventure might stick out as a hybrid between often

> used terms

> Action and Adventure. You might notice we have no Action main

> genre as

> we think it is entirely useless label. Almost every game

> contains action

> elements and there's absolutely no way to properly define what

> constitutes an "Action game". E.g. the "Action" definition at

> MobyGames

> fits sports games perfectly as well. As a rough definition for

> Action-Adventure you might consider something like this:

> "Action-Adventures are all games mixing adventure game

> elements like

> exploration, story and puzzles with the physical challenges of

> an action

> game without either type dominating". That definition has its

> problems

> for sure, but it still gives you a good idea of what it

> encompasses.

> - Arcade might be controversial too but I don't think going

> into detail

> here helps, let us just say it encompasses, among others, ball

> & paddle

> games and maze games.

> I'm going to abstain from the majority of this conversation

> because I think you're falling into a comfort trap that will not

> serve you well in the long run. I would like to point out,

> though, that your statement "Almost every game contains action

> elements" is illustrative of why your system is disingenuous --

> simply because most games *you have been exposed to* have action

> elements doesn't mean you should assume the only ones worth

> categorizing do. To illustrate this, how would your system

> classify Tetris? As Puzzle and nothing else? If so, how would I

> use your system to look up puzzle games that specifically do not

> have realtime/action elements, such as traditional checkers? If

> not, how would I use your system to look up Tetris?

> *Jim Leonard

> *> In other words, I blame the MobyGames framework for not being

> fully-featured enough, but I still think the concept is sound

> and true. *

> *

> Jim, please note that I did not mean to critisize the system

> itself, but

> rather the implementation. I love having a well thought of

> multi-layered

> approach to classifying a game in place and your work in that

> regard was

> certainly pioneering (as was MobyGames as a whole).

> No offense taken -- I was blaming the implementation as well, I

> was confirming your thoughts. I'm allowed to point out my own

> failures :-)

> [...]

Curator for History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004