[game_preservation] Descriptive terms for Video Games

Rowan Kaiser rowankaiser at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 17:55:36 EDT 2011

Agreed, which goes back to my initial suggestion: sort by platform/year of
release/publisher. If you want to add genre as a searchable term, go for it,
but those three things are both objective and useful.

Rowan

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu> wrote:

> All,

> While the discussion has been great, not all of it is germane to the

> original question of how to catalog items in a collection. There is a

> difference between a level of description that allows collection users to

> find (and discover) items and a perhaps more detailed level that addresses

> conceptual points such as genre, game mechanics, etc. One way to think of

> this is the difference between a library catalog and a scholarly

> bibliography (and there are different kinds of bibliographies, with whole

> books devoted to the techniques of description pertaining to them). I guess

> my point is that genre is a fluid, debatable concept and fertile field for

> discussion and difference of opinion, but I'm not sure if a library or

> museum cataloger necessarily wants to spend a lot of time figuring out

> exactly which genre applies to a given item. In the Stanford Libraries'

> catalog, with millions of items, I wouldn't be surprised if only a few

> thousand items have genre descriptors--which is not to say that genre is

> unimportant for fiction, just that it is usually not a necessary piece of

> information to describe a particular book for the purposes of a catalog.

> Henry

> On 6/15/2011 7:20 PM, Rowan Kaiser wrote:

> What we need is a Pandora for video games.

> Rowan

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Jim Leonard <trixter at oldskool.org> wrote:

>> On 6/15/2011 7:55 AM, Jan Baart wrote:

>>> - Action-Adventure might stick out as a hybrid between often used terms

>>> Action and Adventure. You might notice we have no Action main genre as

>>> we think it is entirely useless label. Almost every game contains action

>>> elements and there's absolutely no way to properly define what

>>> constitutes an "Action game". E.g. the "Action" definition at MobyGames

>>> fits sports games perfectly as well. As a rough definition for

>>> Action-Adventure you might consider something like this:

>>> "Action-Adventures are all games mixing adventure game elements like

>>> exploration, story and puzzles with the physical challenges of an action

>>> game without either type dominating". That definition has its problems

>>> for sure, but it still gives you a good idea of what it encompasses.

>>> - Arcade might be controversial too but I don't think going into detail

>>> here helps, let us just say it encompasses, among others, ball & paddle

>>> games and maze games.

>> I'm going to abstain from the majority of this conversation because I

>> think you're falling into a comfort trap that will not serve you well in the

>> long run. I would like to point out, though, that your statement "Almost

>> every game contains action elements" is illustrative of why your system is

>> disingenuous -- simply because most games *you have been exposed to* have

>> action elements doesn't mean you should assume the only ones worth

>> categorizing do. To illustrate this, how would your system classify Tetris?

>> As Puzzle and nothing else? If so, how would I use your system to look up

>> puzzle games that specifically do not have realtime/action elements, such as

>> traditional checkers? If not, how would I use your system to look up

>> Tetris?

>> *Jim Leonard

>>> *> In other words, I blame the MobyGames framework for not being

>>> fully-featured enough, but I still think the concept is sound and true. *

>>> *

>>> Jim, please note that I did not mean to critisize the system itself, but

>>> rather the implementation. I love having a well thought of multi-layered

>>> approach to classifying a game in place and your work in that regard was

>>> certainly pioneering (as was MobyGames as a whole).

>> No offense taken -- I was blaming the implementation as well, I was

>> confirming your thoughts. I'm allowed to point out my own failures :-)

>> > I just think there

>> > is a need for a traditional genre taxonomy on top of that.

>> I disagree, so that's where I'll leave that. I can voice dissension, but

>> I can't change your mind.

>> And I maintain the stance that you can classify every single game

>>> into one of them, with two exceptions:

>> Whoa, stop right there. Read what you just wrote. Do you not see a flaw

>> in a classification system that allows exceptions?

>> - Games that feature distinct levels with completely different gameplay.

>>> You had a lot of these on the old computer platforms. You know, three

>>> levels, one a racing level, the next a platforming one and a puzzle in

>>> between. You can never place those in a taxonomy other than giving these

>>> mixes their own "genre". C'est la vie.

>> Taxonomies are fine-grained, but not by overloading the top order of the

>> classification -- you'd have 500 classifications, which removes your ability

>> to put things in related groups. For example, check out the Wombat: It's

>> an animal, but that's not enough. It's a mammal, but that's not enough. Go

>> further, and it's a marsupial, but still not enough. The scientific

>> classification has the order Diprotodontia and suborder Vombatiformes, and

>> now we finally have an idea of where it belongs (with koalas).

>> By forcing a single arbitrary "social" classification onto a game, you

>> will always have exceptions that don't fit a single classification.

>> - Games that do actually define their own granular genre but that no one

>>> followed up on, resulting in a genre with so few entries that it is

>>> probably not worth having its own granular genre. These do indeed end up

>>> in catch-all kind of classifiers, but where's the problem with that

>>> really?