[game_preservation] Nintendo 3DS trailers

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 7 17:01:18 EST 2011

Christian,

Yup, that's happened to me with EA sports games, too. A propos, note
the furor over the new Tiger Woods game, which basically is just a
license to buy content via a distribution channel ...

Henry

On 11/7/2011 1:58 PM, Christian Bartsch wrote:

> What can I say... I tried buying Spore. It was a used copy. I could

> not create a new account. I contacted the wis guys at the management

> level and was given a simple answer: Buy a fresh copy. So I returned

> the game and have not bought an EA game since then. I nearly stopped

> buying games, except for some console titles, and even ditched the

> Duke, because of the DRM (Steam) used. Now call me old fashioned, and

> I understand my behaviour won't change how the biz is working. But I

> drove me out of it, I enjoy what I have, but I really pick every title

> "by hand".

> This shift from selling licences to selling services is a bit... scary.

> I say it again. Games will vanish - instantly, the moment the

> publisher goes out of business or as part of a legal settlement. We've

> seen titles withdrawn in the past, but usually a few copies survived

> somehow.

> I am not someone living in the past, but I really don't like it where

> this train is going to.

> --

> Christian Bartsch

> The Software Preservation Society

> http://www.softpres.org <http://www.softpres.org/>

> On 7 Nov 2011, at 22:45, Henry Lowood wrote:

>> Christian,

>> Agreed, and let me add that it's not just a problem for

>> preservation. Account-based services also make it nearly impossible

>> for libraries to provide access to current titles offered via these

>> channels. For example, we have been unable to provide current access

>> to indie titles available only via XBox Live. It would be great to

>> see some library-oriented services, as we have (say) with

>> bibliographic databases.

>> Henry

>> On 11/7/2011 1:40 PM, Christian Bartsch wrote:

>>> This is the ugly face of the convenient way games are delivered

>>> today. I am very sure we will notice many games missing in the years

>>> to come and it won't get better with all the DRM mania and other

>>> specialties of modern delivery channels.

>>> MP3 was freed a couple of years ago, but videos and games still come

>>> in chains. Incriminating those breaking such protections is

>>> understandable from a publisher's point of view, but a problem for

>>> preservation. So where do you draw the line? And: Encryption is

650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood