[game_preservation] Nintendo 3DS trailers

Andre Lahmann subs at andre-lahmann.de
Mon Nov 7 18:10:05 EST 2011

hi,
i kind of hate to say it, but the way the gaming-industry is developing
right now it starts to make more and more sense to collect
scene-group-releases along with the actual game-copies. so that in case
the publisher goes out of business or the online-service is shut down,
the games can at least be played offline...
it's probably a very bad idea for libraries to do that right now, but
for private collectors of contemporary pc-games it seems to be the only
option - this might save some time in the future to develop
fixes/emulators to get games started without needing
online-verification. alone the preservation-aspect becomes corrupted as
the game is altered, but at least it works. (collecting the no-cd or
no-steam cracks might be sufficient too)
irony at it's best...

greetings,
andré

Am 07.11.2011 23:01, schrieb Henry Lowood:

> Christian,

> Yup, that's happened to me with EA sports games, too. A propos, note

> the furor over the new Tiger Woods game, which basically is just a

> license to buy content via a distribution channel ...

> Henry

> On 11/7/2011 1:58 PM, Christian Bartsch wrote:

>> What can I say... I tried buying Spore. It was a used copy. I could

>> not create a new account. I contacted the wis guys at the management

>> level and was given a simple answer: Buy a fresh copy. So I returned

>> the game and have not bought an EA game since then. I nearly stopped

>> buying games, except for some console titles, and even ditched the

>> Duke, because of the DRM (Steam) used. Now call me old fashioned, and

>> I understand my behaviour won't change how the biz is working. But I

>> drove me out of it, I enjoy what I have, but I really pick every

>> title "by hand".

>> This shift from selling licences to selling services is a bit... scary.

>> I say it again. Games will vanish - instantly, the moment the

>> publisher goes out of business or as part of a legal settlement.

>> We've seen titles withdrawn in the past, but usually a few copies

>> survived somehow.

>> I am not someone living in the past, but I really don't like it where

>> this train is going to.

>> --

>> Christian Bartsch

>> The Software Preservation Society

>> http://www.softpres.org <http://www.softpres.org/>

>> On 7 Nov 2011, at 22:45, Henry Lowood wrote:

>>> Christian,

>>> Agreed, and let me add that it's not just a problem for

>>> preservation. Account-based services also make it nearly impossible

>>> for libraries to provide access to current titles offered via these

>>> channels. For example, we have been unable to provide current

>>> access to indie titles available only via XBox Live. It would be

>>> great to see some library-oriented services, as we have (say) with

>>> bibliographic databases.

>>> Henry

>>> 650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu