[game_preservation] Internet Archive Starts Archiving Commercial PC Games?

Alex Handy alex at themade.org
Mon Dec 16 17:16:43 EST 2013

Henry, we should sit down in the new year and talk about finding these
folks. I think you, myself and maybe Frank if he's not too busy actually
MAKING games, could make a dent in your list of targets.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu> wrote:

> All,

> For the record: This is not a comment about the IA's policies and

> procedures. Also, I am reporting on work we are doing at Stanford in my

> words, not as an expression of Stanford policy or procedures.

> As part of our NIST project, we will make our best effort to contact

> rights holders. The goal is to document the process and gather data about

> our success rate (success = contact made and some level of permission

> given) and the factors affecting the success rate, ranging from conditions

> placed by rights-holders (including no permission) to orphaned works for

> which no rights-holder could be found. We hope to gather enough data to

> make a general statement about both availability of rights-holders and

> their responses.

> Obviously, we hope to acquire permission to make at least a portion of the

> migrated data from the Cabrinety collection available without restriction.

> Any information that anyone has about contact information for

> rights-holders to software/games released from the 1970s through 1993 would

> be appreciated. We will use that information in our contact process.

> Charlotte Thai, who is also on this list (I believe), will be working with

> me; you can send information to either one of us.

> Henry

> On 12/16/2013 11:15 AM, Alex Handy wrote:

> Problem is most of the stuff he's preserving is damn near impossible to

> source ip rights on. 80's game companies have all been sold off a dozen

> times, and the companies that still own those rights probably don't even

> know they own them..

> Ip is a mess right now. I think Jason is doing the right thing. Waiting

> for companies to give him permission would basically doom the project to

> failure.

> On Dec 16, 2013 9:30 AM, "Andrew Perti" <andrew.perti at thesimm.org> wrote:

>> I recently had a lengthy discussion with Jason about this. He's using

>> what he calls the 'back door' method, rather than the legal and

>> conventional 'front door.' A 'let's see what happens' approach.

>> Preservation, to me, does not necessarily include making something

>> publicly available. This is especially true when you don't hold an original

>> to reference from. I'd call it piracy with rose tinted sunglasses; at the

>> core, mass proliferation of copywritten works (IP) for free. The intent was

>> the same and Underground-Gamer.com was taken down this past year for

>> gross proliferation.

>> We'll see what spaghetti sticks to the ceiling and which falls. Though

>> the JSMESS stack is impressive, I'm of the opinion that public domain ROMs,

>> shareware, and other freeware may have been a better route to get the

>> conversation going from the start.

>> Martin Goldberg <wgungfu at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There isn't for the Atari related games, so your first assessment is

>>> most likely right.

>>> --

>>> Marty

>> --

> Henry Lowood

> Curator, History of Science & Technology Collections;

> Film & Media Collections

> HSSG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall

> Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.eduhttp://www.stanford.edu/~lowood

Alex Handy
Founder/Director
The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment
610 16th St.
Suite 230
Oakland, CA 94612
Dial #0230 to be buzzed in