[game_preservation] 1974 Atari memo by Jobs

Benj Edwards editor at vintagecomputing.com
Wed Feb 13 11:46:39 EST 2013

I think the biggest thing it speaks to was Jobs' hubris and immaturity
at the time. He put "Steve Jobs / All-One Design" on the title page of
the memo. He was a regular employee of Atari, if I'm not mistaken, but
he pretended he was doing contract work on behalf of his own fictional
design company.

By the way, I think I found a complete PDF of the memo set here:
http://www.atarigames.com/pdffiles/stevejobs.pdf

I can guess who sold it, but I suppose I won't say.

Benj

On 2/13/2013 11:28 AM, Devin Monnens wrote:

> Thanks for the info, guys! Will have to check out Frank's article

> (it's on the to-read list, which keeps growing ever-longer...).

> So I'm guessing this doesn't tell us anything new or interesting about

> World Cup Soccer? (Not that it was a particularly influential

> title...) Or Jobs's design abilities at the time?

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Martin Goldberg <wgungfu at gmail.com

> <mailto:wgungfu at gmail.com>> wrote:

> Devin, nothing significant other than it's a pre-Apple Steve Jobs

> document. Just shows the type of low level tech work he was doing

> for Atari on the nightshift. I know the person who was auctioning

> that off (they wish to remain anonymous) and they more than got

> their money's worth between that and the Apple I.

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:50 AM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com

> <mailto:dmonnens at gmail.com>> wrote:

> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57442500-37/steve-jobs-1974-memo-to-atari-to-be-auctioned/

> This is old news, but I thought some folks here would have

> been aware of it. The memo sold for $27k - quite a lot for

> five sheets of paper.

> http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57454271-235/steve-jobs-atari-memo-sells-for-$27500/

> Marty - have you seen this document? Is there any significant

> information on it?

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

> Marty

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>