[game_preservation] 1974 Atari memo by Jobs

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Thu Feb 14 17:49:01 EST 2013

On 2/14/2013 3:14 PM, Devin Monnens wrote:

> And it's not an isolated incident.

Unfortunately this happens even with sources are "verified". For
example, the recent discussion on the sofware collector's mailing list
on who programmed the TRS-80 CoCo3 version of King's Quest III and LSL,
the information cited on MobyGames is apparently wrong, even though
MobyGames does its best to verify sources against either the game's
manual or program output (ie. credits printed in-game). In the CoCo3
case, it's really a puzzle because the manual must be wrong, and to make
things more puzzling, the program code itself has the string "CoCo3
version by Chris Iden" embedded in it but Chris Iden himself has no
recollection of working on the port.

I have no solution, just making note of a problem that affects more than
wikipedia (and, I would assume, other historians in other disciplines).
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org)
Check out some trippy MindCandy: http://www.mindcandydvd.com/