[game_preservation] game conservation at MoMA

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 15 19:10:06 EST 2013

Hi Helen,
I'm going to a meeting in Kyoto this week about game preservation, and I
think this may be one of the discussion topics. James Newman will also
be speaking there.
Best,
Henry

On 1/15/2013 2:45 PM, Helen Stuckey wrote:

> Thanks Alex very interesting.

> Nintendo can be tricky to deal with regarding the exhibition and

> preservation of their work by cultural institutions.

> If anyone does have the ear of senior Nintendo personal perhaps

> suggest to them how great it would be if Nintendo had a dedicated

> archivist and historian in house. This would make it much easier for

> museums when dealing with them and I am sure it would also assist

> Nintendo in monetising their history in a way that their fans would be

> more appreciative of.

> On 16 January 2013 08:52, Alex Handy <alex at themade.org

> <mailto:alex at themade.org>> wrote:

> Some tidbits from my chat with Paul Galloway, at the NY MOMA.

> First of all, the reason the MOMA put the games in the design gallery

> is that the design team just wanted it more. It's not a reflection on

> games in any way: the design gallery has existed as long as the MOMA.

> The team there were just the first to want to do this, so they got it.

> Second, they want to show this stuff without nostalgia, and for people

> to appreciate them as works of art and engineering. To this end, the

> games will likely be playable as a monitor embedded in a white wall,

> very stark.

> Third, they have the rights to some of the games' source code, but not

> many, and typically, the rights disallow the showing of said source

> code to anyone, anywhere. I made a very big case for why they needed

> to use the source code in their displays, to show off the engineering,

> and that interpreting that for the public would be their biggest

> challenge.

> They really don't understand software over there. They don't know what

> they're gonna do with all the code they got, or with any of the

> physical assets. But they recognize the artistry and need for

> preservation. Paul is a smart fellow but he could use help getting

> ahold of Nintendo and other orgs that are a bit too big to communicate

> with.

> --

> Alex Handy

> Founder/Director

> The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment

> 610 16th St.

> Suite 230

> Oakland, CA 94612

> Dial #0230 to be buzzed in

> http://www.themade.org

> http://blog.themade.org

> 510-788-5702 <tel:510-788-5702>

> 410-2-31337-2 <tel:410-2-31337-2> (mobile)

Curator, History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HSSG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004
650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood