[game_preservation] Getting involved

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 17 13:03:53 EDT 2014

Mike makes a great suggestion, and that's exactly right as a place to
start. Let me go one step beyond - if you have documentation such as
saved games or video captures of game play or other (digital) traces of
your gameplay, I have a place for it on the Internet Archive - in the
Archiving Virtual Worlds <https://archive.org/details/virtual_worlds>
collection. Just let me know. Non-digital, there are several museum
and library collections scattered around the country that could use help
- pick the one nearest you (Strong or SBU in NY, Texas, Stanford in
California, SIMM in Seattle, etc.)
Henry

On 4/16/2014 9:16 PM, Mike Melanson wrote:

> On 4/16/2014 1:10 PM, Scott Sheppard wrote:

>> I've been a pretty solid lurker for a couple of years now, and would

>> like to become more actively involved in preservation stuff. I haven't

>> really had much to contribute to the conversation yet, or I'd comment

>> more often.

>> Do you all have any suggestions as far as how to get to know folks or

>> get involved in any projects?

> Do you own any games? Are they all well represented in the MobyGames

> database yet?

> http://www.mobygames.com/

> For the games you own, if there are bits of cover art missing, scan

> and submit them. If the game has no screenshots, play it (good excuse

> to do so), capture screenshots and submit them. If the game isn't

> there at all, then you have a lot of data to contribute.

> It might seem like a small contribution but, hey, it's something. :)

> I've been contributing for close to a decade. It sometimes dawns on me

> that, for certain games, if I hadn't written them up for MobyGames,

> this vast collection of human knowledge called the internet would have

> almost no record that the game ever existed at all.

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HSSG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004