[LEAPSECS] The definition of a day

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jan 30 10:41:55 EST 2015

Rob loves to quote the archives as if they irrefutably prove his point. They don’t.
They just point to the various discussions we’ve gone round and round on. Nobody
has made a decisive argument on either side, and few minds have changed.

The biggest thing that’s ignored in them is that time zone can and do change
all the time. Dozens of changes are pushed to the time zone files many times
a year. Each little change isn’t a big deal. Heck the US even changed its DST
rules a few years ago and people coped. A few devices with hard-coded DST
broke, and OSes that weren’t updated in time were a problem. Not the kind
of thing you want to do all the time, but the disruption was small enough
that it could be done on a scale of decades easily enough. From time to
time there’s even tweaks to the boundaries of the time zones. Kentucky and
Indiana have tweaked the most, but there’s other odd adjustments as populations
shift and patterns of trade follow. The scale one would need to adjust by an
hour is measured quite literally in centuries (or multiple centuries) for the
next few thousand years. It fits well with the micro tweaks going gone all the
time. Some locations want to do DST, others don’t, others think having their
clocks an hour earlier or later would be a good thing.

Apologists for keeping leap seconds ignore this argument. Partially because
it wasn’t made in the official proposals that never went anywhere. Partially
because they like to argue against the leap hour in UTC which was stupidly
suggested in the official proposals. Partially because there’s not a good answer
to this point (there are good answers to other points, but if synchronization to
the earth is important for the masses, this is a perfectly valid way to achieve
that which won’t cause any confusion at all given the time-scales involved).

Now, there are technical users of UTC that do care very much about an error
of even a second. Not because it makes their mornings or afternoons longer,
but because they view UTC as a measure of the earth’s angle and need to
point something in that direction. This is not an unreasonable thing to assume
today, since UTC is approximately that by definition. Changes to that definition
would cause real difficulties for these people.

As for the ‘UTC doesn’t match local time’ it already doesn’t. It kinda matches
it to a good approximation, but that approximation is arbitrary. Why 1s? Why
not .1s or 10s? There are reasons, some of them good some of them bad.
But if I needed to know the local, solar time, you’d simply use the UT1 - UTC[new]
tables we’re already producing to do that. On the scale of decades, you’d
have one minute accuracy with a single number. This is considerably more
stable than local time zone observation, especially on the edges of the
time zones. The “leap hour historical table” boogie man isn’t such a big
deal because we already have him. The Olson timezone database already
encodes this, even for the whacked out case where you have two people
living in the same area that are on different time zones (Israelis and
Palestinians in the west bank). Adding entries to this on a scale of centuries
will be so far in the noise that I can’t believe it is a problem.

Warner