[LEAPSECS] LEAPSECS Digest, Vol 153, Issue 3

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jul 15 14:33:37 EDT 2020

--------
Demetrios Matsakis writes:

> rise, and the Earth gets rounder.   But the same people who do that math
> say today's warming, dramatic as it may be for our biosphere, is
> too little for this particular effect.   People have gotten that stuff
> wrong since George Darwin, though.

I think the basic redistribution of water will be a wash, pun
intended, for instance the water in the Greenland icecape gets
lowered some kilometers, but a lot of that water will end up in the
central pacific, right on the Equator, due to the local gravitation.

If we get a negative leap, it will be because of "noise", both from
whatever is going on under our feet, but possibly also from climate
change transient phenomena, the crust under Greenland bouncing up
under lighter load, ocean current modulations or, more unlikely
reconfigurations.

But still eyeballing the LOD curve, I'd give it 50/50 before 2038.