`abbr` for machine-readable microformat dates explained (was: Markdown and the hCal microformat)

Michael McCracken mike at cs.ucsd.edu
Thu Aug 3 16:01:11 EDT 2006

On Aug 3, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Milian Wolff wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 03. August 2006 21:26 schrieb A. Pagaltzis:

>> the idea being that I used “now” as a human-readable shorthand

>> form for 2006-08-03T21:22:44+0200. (I’m not sure about the exact

>> format required for the title attribute.)

> So you want to be able to parse the generated html for further use?

Yes. See [the microformats wiki][1] for a bunch of sites that publish
this microformat, and you can search the web's microformatted dates
using [Technorati's microformat search tool][2]. Momentum is building
for tools to aggregate and search microformatted data.

> Because else I don't get it why one should add such a date. I just

> image a

> disabled user with a screenreader stumbling upon the <abbr> tag (or

> wherever

> else you store the *extended* date) - would be quite a suprise in

> my opinion

> but then I dont use hCal much.

It's been discussed on the microformat-discuss list that using <abbr>
this way isn't less accessible in any practical sense. I can try to
dig it up if you're interested, but the point is moot - that is the
way the microformat is specified. I wasn't inventing anything new there.

> Who is interested in the time zone that was posted in except

> databases?

Users using those databases are interested. Generating the right time
zone from a user-friendly syntax for dates is a challenge of my idea,
though.

-mike

[1]:http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar#Implementations
[2]:http://kitchen.technorati.com/search