Maruku: a better Markdown interpreter for Ruby.

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Thu Dec 28 15:35:10 EST 2006

Andrea Censi <andrea at censi.org> wrote on 12/28/06 at 7:57 PM:

> About this, Michel Fortin referred to an old thread (2005) about

> meta-data syntax.

> I resurrected it and tried to summarize:

> http://maruku.rubyforge.org/markdown_extra2.html

> http://maruku.rubyforge.org/markdown_extra2.md

> Any comment after so long time?

Yes. Something very similar to this is what I'm planning to add.

> > 8.2. Comments.

> > Why not just use HTML comments?

> For one thing, if I have to write a one-line comment:

> <!-- Please, Mark, have a look at the following list -->

> I need no less than 7 characters. Practically every language except

> xml allows a

> syntax.

I agree that HTML's comment syntax is verbose. And don't get me
started on the rules regarding `--` within an HTML comment. I'm
not ruling out the idea of a Markdown-specific comment syntax, but
given that Markdown already supports HTML comments (in the same
way it "supports" all HTML tags), I'm very wary of using up any
additional special characters just to make it a bit more
convenient.

-J.G.