More continuing text for tables

Simon Bull waysoftheearth at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 23 21:43:18 EDT 2009

My apologies, I didn't read David's post correctly. After looking at it
more closely, I agree with the previous posts; a leading pipe followed
vertically by trailing colons is much better than the other way around, so
it should have looked like this:

Col A | Col B | Col C
-------------+----------+---------
A1 | B1 | C1
a2 contains | b2 | c2
some long & : b2 : c2
interesting : b2 : c2
commentary : B2 : C2
A3 | B3 | C3

Explicit row markers do _work_, but they are too verbose for my liking.
They are more work to write, and don't read as cleanly. The colon syntax
_works_ too, and it is cleaner, and I think having a source document which
is natural to write, and easy to read is important.

All that aside, it is support for the continued text *feature* that I am
most interested in. If I have to live with explicit line breaks, I guess I
will. But it would seem a shame, given the alternative.

Regarding David's [related proposal][] for the use of tildes '~' for
definition lists, I was also going to suggest adding tildes to support
definition lists within tables, but I backed off from that in my original
post so as not to cloud the central issue; continued text in tables.

However, I strongly agree that the tilde could be used in for definition
lists, thereby removing the ambiguity between colons used as cell delimiters
and those used in definition lists.

I will have to have a look at multimarkdown too :)

Thanks to all who replied,

Simon

[related proposal]:
http://justatheory.com/computers/markup/modest-markdown-proposal.html