inline link syntax question

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 15 00:47:09 EDT 2012

+++ Fletcher T. Penney [Sep 12 12 18:15 ]:

> I think a space *should* be allowed. Some text editors seem to wrap between those characters, IIRC, which leads to problems if a space is not allowed.

> Short of convincing argument to the contrary, I plan on keeping the optional space between the two in MultiMarkdown. So, for selfish reasons, I would love it if you keep it in peg-markdown so I don't have to revert the change. :)

So I think there are two convincing arguments so far:

1. The official syntax description allows the space only in
reference-style links, and not in inline links.

2. As Waylan points out, with short reference links, it's pretty easy
to do things like

see [link] (and by the way, blah)

which would be parsed as links if the space were allowed.