Crimora Branch

Wed Oct 23 12:49:18 EDT 2013

For anyone interested in a good scientific and business treatment of the
various mines and quarries located along early Virginia railroads, I
recommend the 800+ page work titled Minerals of Virginia, by Thomas Leonard
Watson, Ph.D., of the University of Virginia (Lynchburg: J P Bell & Co.,
1907.) It is copiously indexed and easy to use.

I have put the entire work (30 megs) up in PDF format on Dropbox. Click
this link to get it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q02eh4yon7tqv3d/Mineral%20Resources%20of%20Virginia_1907.pdf

Also, I have prepared an 8 page abstract dealing with Augusta County only
and containing two photographs of the Crimora manganese operations. You
may get this abstract at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8lbcpzkp1vcnpn/CRIMORA%20-%20an%20abstract%20from_MINERAL%20RESOURCES%20OF%20VIRGINIA_1907.pdf

And, while we're at it, wasn't the J.P. Bell printery in Lynchburg somehow
related to Stone Printing in Roanoke...?

-- abram burnett

Sent to you from my Telegraph Key...

Moderator: