Thu Apr 2 17:01:37 EDT 2015

> The problem with the Js on the Eisenhower Special came at
> North Winston.   There's no turntable or wye for turning locomotives,
> but power made a 180 on a loop track with a very tight radius. Each
> J had to be hauled pulled through the loop by a yard engine and
> the rail had to be greased to avoid derailing.    Harry Bundy

Harry,

You are correct there was no turntable or wye at N&W(now NS) North Winston yard just the loop track where Atlantic Scrap in now located, I have been told, everything is under scrap.

However,  I am not sure the arrangement during passenger service but Southern had a turntable at Salem yard where NS now has Bulk transfer just east of Winston Salem State.  Also, there is a wye on the Southern just south of North Winston yard between Southern's K and L lines.  The wye is still there, the L line is out of service just past the Cherry Street bridge.

Makes me wonder if there was no arrangement between the two carriers for usage of these.  N&W used Southern's passenger station just east of the Winston Salem Southbound Junction which came off the N&W.

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC