Fri Apr 3 10:21:08 EDT 2015

Hey Jim,  the scrap yard is now OmniSource -- I go there often but the loop track ts long gone except the beginning and end of it.  The Y-6s used it as well as the lubritorum and pit near the "roundhouse" as John Wofford called it when answering the phone.  I've been told there was a small turntable there in pre-mallet days, more info from Jeff Miller.  Ron Hash

The problem with the Js on the Eisenhower Special came atNorth Winston.   There's no turntable or wye for turning locomotives,but power made a 180 on a loop track with a very tight radius. EachJ had to be hauled pulled through the loop by a yard engine andthe rail had to be greased to avoid derailing.    Harry Bundy

Harry,
You are correct there was no turntable or wye at N&W(now NS) North Winston yard just the loop track where Atlantic Scrap in now located, I have been told, everything is under scrap.
However,  I am not sure the arrangement during passenger service but Southern had a turntable at Salem yard where NS now has Bulk transfer just east of Winston Salem State.  Also, there is a wye on the Southern just south of North Winston yard between Southern's K and L lines.  The wye is still there, the L line is out of service just past the Cherry Street bridge.
Makes me wonder if there was no arrangement between the two carriers for usage of these.  N&W used Southern's passenger station just east of the Winston Salem Southbound Junction which came off the N&W.
James Wall Rural Hall, NC