Two questions for the N&W Pros

Fri Sep 4 11:13:05 EDT 2015

Harry is, as usual, correct!

There was a discussion I recall from some correspondence that I've seen regarding the cost of servicing at CUT, and how to eliminate that by service at Prichard, which did indeed happen. It became more of an issue once other roads started using diesels.

In addition, there was also a separate discussion on taking Southern's coal at Monroe and the cost (and quality) or that coal. I forget exactly what year, but in the 1940s, a discussion of moving the water plugs eastward at Roanoke, to allow the Js to take water during the station stop on the Bristol-Monroe trips. Naturally, once the Southern dieselized that Division, the coal and water facilities were removed.

In addition to Prince's book, the J assignment diagram is also in my J book, and will be used again in the revised, expanded edition (hopefully late this year).

Ken Miller