Last Train 18

Tue Nov 22 00:33:19 EST 2022

 Harry: The Claytor Lake was 500. The 101 had been converted from a diner in the '30's.
Jim Nichols
    On Monday, November 21, 2022 at 04:51:18 PM CST, NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

 Harry, I don’t believe that 5:30am time is correct. I don’t have timetables from back then handy (in the middle of what will end up being a 6+ month move and they’re with the moving company) but I recall in the months leading up to A-Day, 4 and 18 (and 3 and 17) were scheduled to be in Roanoke at the same time allowing connections between them.
-- Larry Stone   Sent from my iPhone

Reviewing the N&W document, I find that someone had penned in "#18", but the train was ID'ed as PASSENGER EXTRA EAST.  Pre-Amtrak times, No. 18 was scheduled to arrive Roanoke about 5:30 AM, but the train and engine crew Roanoke to Lynchburg wasn't called until 1:00 PM.  With the discontinuance of passenger service, I suspect N&W issued a new employee  timetable which eliminated scheduled passenger service.  Remember that Southern Railway elected NOT to join Amtrak.   Originally ID'ed as 2nd 4 Roanoke-Norfolk, this is the consist of PASSENGER EXTRA EAST -Conductor J. C. McKenney        Engineer D. P. Clark
On Duty 9:45 AM
Engs 516-501N&W 1401 Mail - LynchburgN&W 1321 Mail - NorfolkN&W 1349 Mail - NorfolkN&W   101 Business Car - Norfolk  (Claytor Lake ?)