[StBernard] Re-entry Notes - ALAN SCHULZ

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Sep 26 08:33:19 EDT 2005

Westley-

This is Alan Schulz from Lena Drive. I am an engineer-lawyer
who is unclear on how people are being allowed into the Murphy Spill area,
referred to anecdotally as "hot" and as the "red zone." Has there been any
reliable analysis of what hazardous (potentially cancer-causing) materials,
such as benzene, may be in the area? Where are the laboratory results from
LA DEQ and US EPA? I am reluctant for myself and my neighbors to take
health risks to retrieve property, if we are taking a blind risk of serious
illness. I am reluctant to believe conclusory statements from anyone
(including Murphy, or a letter from an unknown testing lab in Arkansas,
Murphy's home state) that the area is "non-toxic". I want the details, (lab
reports, areas of sampling, etc.) so that an independent analyst can
evaluate the "TRUTH", a seemingly rare commodity lately. We need to err on
the side of caution before risking everyone's health in the spill area. Do
you agree?

Alan Schulz

----

Reply to above

Alan,

I cannot tell you what has been tested and what hasn't. All I have is the
information gleaned from the two parish web sites.

Personally, and this is strickly my opinion, I believe most of the danger
has evaporated away. If you follow the guidelines is wear a face mask,
carbon-filled would be best because of mold concerns, you should be ok. You
are only going to be exposed for a short period of time.

If this particular crude oil was highly-toxic, you would have seen even the
clean-up crews in full protective gear. I have been involved with crude oil
enough to see the precautions that are taken with the different types of
crude oil.

Westley