[StBernard] An Update from Bobby Jindal

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 28 15:55:31 EDT 2005

Dear friends,

Though we are now a few weeks out from the initial devastation of Hurricanes
Katrina and Rita, we are still just beginning to come to grips with the
scope of these tragedies.

Even today the rescue and recovery efforts are ongoing and we are still
working to get the necessary supplies to the cities, towns and people who
need them.

I did want to take a minute, however, to thank everybody who has been so
generous since the hurricane and update you on some of the events on the
ground as my staff and I have seen them.

The private response in the days and weeks that followed the hurricane has
been incredible. Individuals across the state and the nation have opened
their pockets, and in some cases their homes, to help the people devastated
by these tragedies. In many cases the private response has been quicker and
more thorough than the response from local, state and federal governments -
Ford and Dodge have both donated trucks and SUVs which we were able to
provide to parishes in order to help with their recovery efforts.

Representatives from my office were sometimes the first people to reach
communities in the district, thankfully carrying needed supplies that had
been generously donated by private companies. We were able to bring
hundreds of propane tanks to the City of Varnado and Mt. Hermon; 75,000
bottles of water to Bogalusa and Varnado; 18-wheelers full of food to
Varnado, Bogalusa, Bush, Hammond, Gretna, and St. Tammany Parish. We had
water purification systems donated and delivered to St. Bernard Parish to
help provide safe drinking water. We were also able to deliver high-powered
generators to Jefferson Parish to keep critical infrastructure up and
running.

Some of the many stories of heroism during this past month have been from
the men and women performing emergency medical care on both the North and
South shores. These men and women, many working around the clock, have
stayed with the patients who needed them, providing lifesaving services.
Thanks to volunteers and private donations, we have been able to help
provide many hospitals serving the sick with the generators, medicine, food
and water they need to keep up their great work. Additionally, many doctors
from out of state have donated their time to help in shelters and in the
devastated areas - we have been able to direct 20 doctors to rural towns
along the Louisiana/ Mississippi border.

There are a number of other heartwarming tales - including the rescue
workers who have continued non-stop, without concern for their own safety or
their property, and the volunteers who have spent countless hours in
shelters across the state offering solace and support for so many.

I have written about my frustrations with the bureaucracy and about examples
of private acts of compassion in an op-ed published recently in the Wall
Street Journal that can be viewed on my website.
(http://www.bobbyjindal.com/reelect/weekly_updates/09.28.05%20-%20wsj_editor
ial.htm) or click here
<http://www.bobbyjindal.com/reelect/weekly_updates/09.28.05%20-%20wsj_editor
ial.htm> .

And there is still much that needs to be done to make sure that everyone who
has been so affected by this tragedy has the resources and help he or she
needs. Our offices in Metairie, Mandeville and Hammond have been damaged,
but if you have questions or need help, or have a donation to offer, you can
still reach my office at 1-800-958-0019 or 202-225-3015.

We are grateful for everything you are doing.

Bobby Jindal