[StBernard] Archdiocese of New Orleans Policy for Employment Terms and Conditions

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 28 16:01:44 EDT 2005

Note: If you work for a local parish or parish school, you are urged to call
the reporting number (888-366-5024) even if you have already contacted your
parish priest or principal.
----

Archdiocesan Employees Urged to Contact Supervisor or 1-888-366-5024;
Archdiocese Releases Policy for Employment Terms and Conditions

ARCHDIOCESE OF NEW ORLEANS
POLICY FOR EMPLOYMENT TERMS AND CONDITIONS
SEPTEMBER 25, 2005

The Archdiocese of New Orleans has played a significant role throughout the
history of our state and metropolitan area. In times of struggle and times
of blessings, the Church has been in solidarity with all our people. During
this unprecedented time of challenge, the archdiocese is both a victim of
the storm as well as an integral source of support and aid for the recovery
of our communities. Enormous personal and financial challenges face our
archdiocese as well as the families and communities ravaged by this storm.
This severe economic burden necessitates our making difficult decisions
concerning our employees. These decisions are all the more painful given the
great sacrifice and generosity of all our employees in service to the local
Church.

Unfortunately, the archdiocese must decide how its diminished and limited
resources can best serve the greater good. This means that we must, however
regrettably, discontinue the employment of many of our faithful workers. We
pledge to keep as many as possible. We hope to rehire many in the future. We
also want to assist all of our employees during this difficult time to find
employment that will use their gifts and skills which have so well served
our archdiocese. The policy we have developed is one that tries to balance
responsible economic stewardship with respect and compassion for our valued
employees. We hope for the day when we can invite all of our employees back
to that vital work which unites us all.

1. All employees of archdiocesan parishes, schools and offices, including
Christopher Homes, Catholic Charities, Catholic Schools, Wynhoven
Healthcare, Chateau de Notre Dame, School Food Services, Second Harvest,
PACE, Cemeteries and the Clarion Herald, must report their location and
availability to report to work at 1-888-366-5024 or directly to their
supervisor on or before Monday, October 3, 2005.

2. Policy on Continued or Discontinued Employment:
a. If a job is available, the employee will be notified when and where to
report to work. Wages resume on the first day of work.
b. If a job is not available, unfortunately the employee will be terminated
and given two weeks severance pay. In addition, the opportunity will be
given to apply for other jobs and for assistance to find employment outside
the archdiocese. The employee is strongly encouraged to register with the
state Department of Labor (www.laworks.net) as well as contact FEMA
officials (1-800-621-FEMA; www.fema.gov) for other unemployment benefits.
Finally, employees will be allowed to continue their medical benefits
coverage, at their expense, for up to 12 months.
c. If a job is available, but the employee cannot or chooses not to report
to work, the employee will be laid off and given two weeks of severance pay.
d. If an employee does not make contact by Monday, October 3, 2005, the
employee will be laid off with no severance pay.
e. The archdiocese will initiate an effort to help former employees to be
re-employed.
f. An employee who is terminated because a job position is unavailable OR
because the person is unable to report to work may be contacted if and when
positions become available in the future. Look for further information on
the Web site.