[StBernard] Governor's Statement

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Oct 11 23:54:58 EDT 2005

Governor responds to Mayor Nagin's letter
Strong economy and public education vital to recovery

"I know Mayor Nagin is working hard to restart the New Orleans economy and I
am certainly working closely with him to do so.

"I urge caution, however, in looking to the expansion of gambling as a quick
fix to our economic problems in the city. I have never believed that
gambling should be the base on which to build our economy.

"New Orleans is a renowned and beloved city with international status.? Its
economic vibrancy is important to Louisiana, the nation and the world.? We
must give careful consideration to bold ideas while pressing forward with
proven strategies.

"We need federal tax credits for individuals and businesses to create an
environment that attracts our people and our businesses--large and small--to
New Orleans. This would also stimulate new economic growth.

"To attract and sustain our families who return, we need to build a stronger
public education system.? Strong public education is vital to encourage
economic growth.

"On that note, I am grateful to the New Orleans School Board for having the
courage to recognize that public charter schools represent a new beginning
that will serve our children in fresh and powerful ways.

"I will continue to work with the Mayor, the New Orleans community and the
leadership of all affected parishes to rebuild south Louisiana.? We have
outstanding opportunities to build a future that is brighter and stronger
for all of us."?

### On Friday, October 7, 2005, Governor Blanco signed Executive Order
Number KBB 2005-58, which suspends certain charter school provisions within
Title 17 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes in order to facilitate the use of
charter schools to assist in meeting the educational needs of Louisiana
students. To view the full text of the full text of the Executive Order,
visit www.gov.state.la.us.