[StBernard] HR3922 - Flood Insurance Buy In Plan

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Oct 31 07:26:46 EST 2005

Wendy,

This is one of the reasons that I think the over the long term, the entire
NFIP program needs to be overhauled. Instead of being a separate policy, it
should just be a rider on your homeowners insurance. It should have the
same coverage as your homeowners.

Should a claim arise, you call one number to make a claim. One adjustor
comes out and gives an estimate and you are settled, regardless of whether
it is flood damage or not. You get paid for whatever your damage was.

Let the insurance company battle it our with the Feds to determine if the
damage was caused by a flood or not.

This allows the homeowner to get back to recovering as quickly as possible
and doesn't have to worry about differences in coverage or who's going to
cover what. All this bickering back and forth with the insurance companies
is just going to slow things down for the homeowner who has the biggest
stake in all of this and bought the insurance policy believing it would
protect them in case of an emergency.

Westley