[StBernard] USDA honors Governor's request; designates parishes as natural disaster areas

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 3 23:06:40 EST 2005

USDA honors Governor's request; designates parishes as natural disaster
areas

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco announced today that United
States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Secretary Mike Johanns has honored
her request for a disaster designation for all eligible parishes in
Louisiana due to the combined losses caused this year by drought and
hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

"Farmers across the state have been hurt by the extraordinary drought and
the devastation of two hurricanes," said Governor Blanco. "I am grateful
that the USDA has recognized the seriousness of our situation and will be
helping our farmers through these difficult times."

Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry Bob Odom reiterated Governor
Blanco's sentiments.

"Farmers are in a dire situation because of the drought and two catastrophic
hurricanes. Wildfires are escalating, dairymen and beef producers can't
plant their winter pastures and cane growth will be stunted," Odom said.
"Any help we can get from the federal government is welcome."

After reviewing Damage Assessment Reports along with additional information
submitted by the state executive director of the Farm Service Agency (FSA),
the USDA has given the following 40 parishes a Secretarial disaster
declaration:

Acadia; Allen, Avoyelles; Beauregard; Bienville; Bossier; Caddo; Calcasieu;
Caldwell; Cameron; Catahoula; Claiborne; Concordia; DeSoto; East Carroll;
Evangeline; Franklin; Grant; Jackson; Jefferson Davis; LaSalle; Lafayette;
Lincoln; Madison; Morehouse; Natchitoches; Ouachita; Rapides; Red River;
Richland; Sabine; St. Landry; St. Martin; Tensas; Union; Vermillion; Vernon;
Webster; West Carroll and Winn.

Also eligible because they are contiguous are Assumption, Iberia, Iberville,
Pointe Coupee, St. Mary and West Feliciana parishes.

This designation makes all qualified farm operators in the listed parishes
eligible for low-interest emergency loans from FSA, provided eligibility
requirements are met. Farmers in eligible counties have eight months from
the date of the declaration (October 24, 2005) to apply for the loans to
help cover part of their actual losses. FSA has a variety of programs
available, in addition to the emergency loan program, to help eligible
farmers recover from adversity.

Farm operators in the affected areas seeking additional information about
low-interest emergency loans should contact their local Farm Service Agency
office. Additional information is also available online at:
http://disaster.fsa.usda.gov

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation (LDRF), Louisiana's fund for
Louisiana's people, has been established by Governor Kathleen Babineaux
Blanco in order to support long-term family restoration and recovery and
help provide assistance to our citizens in need through a network of
Louisiana charities and non-profit agencies.

1-877-HELPLA1 (877-435-7521) www.louisianahelp.org