[StBernard] Murphy Oil FAQ's

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 9 14:37:13 EST 2005

Murphy Oil USA, Inc.'s
Questions and Answers

November 8, 2005

----

1. How did Murphy determine which areas had been affected by the oil spill?

The Center for Toxicology and Environmental Health (CTEH) conducted
extensive testing in St. Bernard Parish over a seven week period to
determine which areas and properties had been affected by the spill. CTEH
has published a map of the area which is available at the St. Bernard Parish
Government web-site (www.sbpg.net) and at www.murphyoilcorp.com

2. Will the affected area be safe with respect to crude oil?

Yes. Nearly all of the oil spill has been recovered or evaporated. The
Center for Toxicology and Environmental Health conducted extensive testing
in St. Bernard Parish and has concluded that after residual oil is cleaned
from homes and lots, the crude oil will not present short or long term
health or safety concerns. A letter addressing environmental concerns has
been written by CTEH and has also been published on the St. Bernard Parish
Government and Murphy websites.

3. Will Murphy test my property to make sure it's safe with respect to crude
oil?

Yes. The Center for Toxicology and Environmental Health has already tested
many properties in the area. If your property is in or near the delineated
area, was not tested and you wish it tested, Murphy will test it. If
testing shows the presence of crude oil from Murphy's refinery, you will be
offered a settlement from the established program.

4. Is Murphy also going to remove crude oil from private property?

Yes. With the owner's permission, property in the affected area will be
cleaned of oil by Murphy. Clean-up of the crude oil will be done at the
owner's request whether or not a settlement agreement is reached.

5. If I settle with Murphy, do I have to agree not to live on my property
for five years or any other period of time?

No. There are no such restrictions imposed in settling a claim with Murphy.

6. Can I just sell my house to Murphy?

No, Murphy is not purchasing houses as part of the program.

7. I have been impacted by the spill but have not yet received a settlement
appointment call. What can I do?

If you have not already done so, please call 1-877-511-1006 to provide us
with your contact information. If you are in the affected area, have
already called to provide us with your information, but have not yet been
called for a claims appointment, you may call 1-870-864-6420 to verify your
information is correct in our database.

8. Do I have to pay taxes on any settlement amount?

You should consult with your own tax advisor to be sure, but generally
payments of this nature are not subject to income tax.