[StBernard] Ideas for the new St. Bernard

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 19 13:48:01 EST 2005

Having been a resident of St. Bernard Parish,and a resident of New Orleans
growing up in the 9th ward, I find it amusing that so many people were upset
over not having the National Chain Restaurants, etc. in the Parish.

What made St. Bernard such a special place was its uniqueness, traditions
and adherence to the truly old New Orleans way of life. If all everyone
wants is a shopping mall, Churckie Cheez, Appleby's, etc., then St. Bernard
will be no different that thousands of other cities around the country.
There would be not reason to come back. If you have relocated to anywhere
from Portland, Oregon or Maine to St. Louis to Atlanta to Phoenix or any
place else in the United States, you just as well stay there as coming back
to St. Bernard will be no different that where you are.

Whereas all local restaurants were not great, I found the same thing
happened to the bad restaurants in St. Bernard that happens to bad
restaurants anywhere, especially in the New Orleans area. If they are not
good, there are too many other options within a short drive, and they will
not be there for long.

If you want to see a city of what St. Bernard could be, I offer a few others
that come to mind as an example, Victoria, B.C., Estes Park, Colorado, Point
Clear, Alabama and surrounding area. All of these cities have one thing in
common. They are CLEAN, lots of flowers, lots of local businesses catering
to the local and tourist trade and lots of great places to eat. St. Bernard
has never been able to capture their share of the tourist market staying in
New Orleans. The tourists would love to come to any part of St. Bernard
that would offer them great restaurants, galleries, shops with local wares
and something unique to the cultural and historic significance of the area
providing a new tax base and income as well as a great place for locals to
live.

Kathy