[StBernard] RETURNING RESIDENTS

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Dec 11 18:26:38 EST 2005

After three months I have no doubt that everyone, including myself, is
feeling pretty frustrated. Those near Chalmette are affected by the daily
loss of basic services. Those of us that haven't been able to find a place
closer to home are frustrated by the lack of information and the
misinformation in columns such as nola.com. Everyone, whether they are
returning to St. Bernard or not, needs to put forth the effort to insure
accurate communications, and to voice our opinions to the appropriate
parties. I strongly urge everyone that is returning to the parish to add
their names to the "Returning Residents" section on the parish website (
http://www.sbpg.net)

Although it is down today for maintenance, it is depressing to look for the
names of friends and neighbors and find them missing, even though some have
made it known that they are returning. I believe that is is simply because
they are unaware of this new feature, or are confusing it with a similar
list put in place by Torres. I placed our family's name on both lists. I
truly believe that everyone will be more optimistic seeing just how many
people will actually be returning. I know that it is far greater than the
300 or so people listed thus far.

I also encourage everyone to send communications to the parish officials,
especially the individuals representing their district, and let them know
that we need specific details, good or bad, about what is happening, what is
planned and the expected dates, so that we can make intelligent decisions.

We must accept the fact that it will be years before St. Bernard returns to
its glory days, but on the positive side, this is our chance to make the
changes that will improve our quality of life. Fewer concentrations of
multi-family housing units, fewer stop lights and less traffic, more modern
school buildings (after repairs, of course), and so on will be welcome
changes. It will be different, but moving elsewhere will be different ,
also.

We need to support each other and look forward with realistic expectations
for a brighter future.