[StBernard] Condemnation/Mitigation Issues

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 23 23:42:32 EST 2005

Apparently the statement from Mr. Taffaro that appeared in the Times
Picayune on 12/21/05 (and we all know how accurate and unbiased the Times
Picayune is) along with my personal comments relative to revision of the
year-end deadline for St. Bernard residents to make a decision relative to
the demolition of their homes resulted in more comments than any other
subject that I can remember. Regardless of each of our opinions, the fact
that concerns and issues have surfaced IN PRINT will benefit all concerned.

I submit my opinions through this column because I care about St. Bernard
Parish and its residents, especially those that I grew up with, went to
school with, or simply came into contact with for some reason. My opinions
are simply that - my opinions. I have no problem identifying myself, as
opposed to others. Again, that is an individual prerogative. Since there
has been so many comments about this particular topic, I would like to offer
a few brief comments for clarification:

(1) First, allow me to clarify to "Jim" that I certainly comprehend the
impact on those who wish to return but can't. I fall into that category.
Yes, I do understand that we need to have patience and understanding, but to
clear up your misconception, I do not have the financial resources that you
seem to think I have. I was laid off September 4th LAST YEAR, and
unfortunately, became ill and required surgery and hospitalization and was
about to start a new job when the storm hit. Consequently, I have no
income, but still have to pay $700 for medical coverage, so I believe your
impression of my financial resources is way off base. Even though I had
surgery, I did exactly what I suggested that others should do - I took
pictures of items inside the house, then removed what I could and placed it
curbside, and took additional pictures as proof to the insurance company of
my losses. Also, if I were able to return to St. Bernard, I would gladly
help my neighbors and friends in the clean-up effort. Unfortunately, I was
never able to find available housing in Louisiana, and ended up in
Tennessee, so whenever I get the chance to go home, meaning I impose on
someone to use an air mattress to sleep on their floor for 2-3 nights, I put
in as many hours as I can to clean-up around my home and neighborhood. I
regret if I offended you and hope that you now understand that we both want
to achieve the same objectives.

(2) To "Terry B", I hope that my response to Jim clarifies my "financial
situation". I am trying to rebuild my home because I cannot afford the loss
that I would take walking away from it. I don't know where you got the
impression that my "situation allows me to get back into my house", because
it will no doubt be at least a year before I can move back into my home. In
the interim, what little wasn't destroyed by the flood was stolen because we
were not there to keep watch. Also, I understand that my situation is not
EXACTLY the same as others in the parish, but for the most part, we were all
flooded and lost items that can never be replaced. Like you, I have waited
in line to talk to a FEMA representative, have completed mounds of paperwork
and have placed numerous telephone calls, yet because of a FEMA error, I
finally received $2,000. With the assistance of the state of Tennessee, we
at least have a place to stay, but that is coming to an end shortly. With
luck and through prayer, we hope to be in a FEMA trailer soon, but I thought
that would be the case in November, also.

(3) To Syl, I agree that it may very well take more than a day depending
upon the size of the home. It took me several times, based on a workday of
about four hours. That was more or less the limit for me with the odor, the
strain on my arm and back, and the items involved. The first day was easy,
with lamps, etc., but obviously other items took longer and yes, I did get
help with the larger items that I could not handle by myself. Similarly, I
offered my help to others when they were struggling with large items. I am
glad that you and your family were able to remove the furniture from your
home, and pray that the rest of your efforts to rebuild will go smoother.

(4) Last, to Kathleen, I certainly understand the frustration of finding
something you can salvage, and then getting ill cleaning it. My wife and I
spent many hours over different days cleaning salvageable items not just
from my home, but from my mother's, mother-in-laws, and my daughters homes.
I cannot expect my mother or mother-in-law, because of their age, to attempt
to return to the parish, so the responsibility is mine. I made several
trips to all three homes and handled the situation as if it were my own
property. Whatever I could find, whether it was a $5 figurine or whatever,
I placed it into a plastic tub, brought it back to TN and cleaned it to the
best of my ability. Hopefully, these small items will bring some happiness
to them. Like you, we would have trouble breathing after each visit, but
made the effort on our parents behalf.

I hope that my explanations help clarify that I share the same concerns as
others. We need answers to make decisions. We need more cooperation from
FEMA. We seem to be the last in line for Federal assistance. We all have
similar problems, just as we have unique situations. I understand that
someone staying in Texas with no transportation cannot clean their home and
hope that different groups will continue to assist in the clean-up effort.
My comments were directed more to those with the means to clean their house,
or if they have made their minds up that they will not be returning, to
authorize demolition so that we can continue to move forward. The more
progress the residents of St. Bernard see, the more encouraged they will be
to return. I could pray for nothing more than cooperation among ourselves,
and for a speedy return to what could be classified under current conditions
as "normal".

My thoughts and prayers go to everyone in St. Bernard. This tragedy is
beyond our worse nightmares, but in the end, we will prevail.

May God Bless All.