[StBernard] Governor's statement on congressional hurricane recovery legislation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 23 23:44:06 EST 2005

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's statement on congressional hurricane
recovery legislation

"I am grateful that Congress this week passed significant assistance for
Louisiana's recovery from the devastation of hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
That assistance - including $2.9 billion for levee repairs and upgrades,
$1.6 billion in education assistance, and $6.2 billion in community
development block grants - goes a long way to fulfilling President Bush's
promise to rebuild and restore the Gulf Coast.

"While thankful for this action, I am deeply disappointed that Congress
recessed for the year without passing the reconciliation bill that contained
Medicaid relief. This legislation would have addressed the health care needs
of those who lives were disrupted by hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Without
this legislation, Louisiana and other states will be forced to impose severe
cuts in health care services, particularly assistance for prescription
drugs. Hundreds of thousands of families - evacuees and those left
unemployed by the storms -- need to know that the! ir states will have the
resources to help them in their time of greatest need.

"I urge the Congress to address this critical legislation immediately after
the New Year, or we will be in crisis."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation (LDRF), Louisiana''s fund for
Louisiana''s people, has been established by Governor Kathleen Babineaux
Blanco in order to support long-term family restoration and recovery and
help provide assistance to our citizens in need through a network of
Louisiana charities and non-profit agencies.

1-877-HELPLA1 (877-435-7521) www.louisianahelp.org