[StBernard] Article on WWL TV Website

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Dec 26 00:28:10 EST 2005

Mr. York:

I suspect that we can all readily agree that St. Bernard Parish is going to
lose, at least for the next eighteen months, the majority of its residents.
In all likelihood, the majority will relocate to the North Shore or
Jefferson Parish because their infrastructure is in place, and many of these
families still have jobs in the greater New Orleans area and/or have
children where it was necessary for them to return to as normal a life as
possible so that their children could return to school and they could return
to work.

I always question predictions. After all, didn't Mayor Nagin state with
authority that over 10,000 residents were dead and the number could rise,
and he was referring to New Orleans alone.

>From conversations with others, it appears that quite a few will return to

the parish near the end of next year, after the hurricane season. I can
understand that, especially if they have purchased other property. Quite
frankly, even though I intend to return, I often wish that I would have
immediately purchased property in Gonzales/Baton Rouge while it was
available for a reasonable price, just so I could be close enough to
continue to rebuild, but at the same time, be able to return to a "normal
existence" every day.

The only way we will have a true picture of how many families expect to
return is if those returning go the parish web-site and add their name to
the list of returning residents. This will provide all with the clearest
impression of how many families will be returning, and may well influence
others to return. This listing, along with the list of returning businesses
will help us all make rational decisions.

Ongoing communications from our parish leaders on the web-site are
invaluable, just as this web-site provided by Westley has proven to be
invaluable.

I share your concerns as to the number of businesses and medical personnel
that will return to St. Bernard, however based on prior projections by the
news media, I cannot accept their projections without knowing how they
arrived at their Numbers.

Good luck to you and your family. I hope that you can return home soon.

John Richardson