[StBernard] "Chocolate City"

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 18 08:16:18 EST 2006

CHOCOLATE CITY
January 17, 2006
Knowledge is Power!

Was the lyrics of a song by Parliament the origin of Mayor Nagin's Chocolate
City comment?

After echoing the era in Up for the Down Stroke, George Clinton and
Parliament set about crafting their classic sound. The creation was gradual
. . . the group's next album, Chocolate City . . .

Chocolate City

* Uh, what's happening CC?
* They still call it the White House
* But that's a temporary condition, too.
* Can you dig it, CC?

* There's a lot of chocolate cities, around
* We've got Newark, we've got Gary
* Somebody told me we got L.A.
* And we're working on Atlanta
* But you're the capital, CC

* Hey, uh, we didn't get our forty acres and a mule
* But we did get you, CC, heh, yeah
* Gainin' on ya
* Movin' in and around ya
* God bless CC and its vanilla suburbs

Chocolate City's full lyric . . . <"http://
www.leoslyrics.com%2Flistlyrics.php%3Fhid%3DPLiDbfYaNpE%253D">

This record, like many Parliament albums after it, has a guiding concept, an
overarching theme: the life and times of African-American Washington, D.C.
in the '70s.

Sincerely,

The Mothership Connection
P-Funk Research