[StBernard] Levee Design

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jan 23 22:40:26 EST 2006

To further add to Westley's comments about what height levees are built
to-

The federal govt. prepared its own study years ago for the "project
storm" that levees would be constructed to protect against. It is not
an exact fit for any Saffir-Simpson category. Below is Saffi-Simpson
criteria for storm strength that you can find on the internet:

Saffir-Simpson Category Hurricane Criteria:

Central Pressure (mb) Maximum Sustained Wind Speed (mph) Storm Surge
(ft) Damage Category Wind Pressure (psf)
1 >980 74-95

4-5 Minimal 19-30
2 965-979 96-110
6-8 Moderate 30-40
3 945-964 111-130
9-12 Extensive 41-57
4 920-944 131-155
13-18 Extreme 58-81
5 <920 >155

>18 Catastrophic >81

The Corps of Engineer's project storm for design of a federal hurricane
protection levee is based on a certain central pressure, wind speed,
storm surge, wind pressure, and most importantly, a PATH and SPEED that
it would cross land. I would prefer for someone from the Corps to
provide that criteria/data as it has been many years since I last saw
it published and I don't have it available to me now. To make it
easier for the general public, the Corps and others call our area's
federal levee design as being a Category 3. BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE, it is
NOT the maximum winds, surge, or pressures of a Cat 3. In some of these
design elements, it may be closer to a Cat. 2 or a weak 3; I'd need to
see the data again.

Also a factor in levee height is wave run up. In some geographic areas
the Corps assumes that the water will be still, such as an inland
canal, and in other areas there would be a wind driven wave running up
the bankline or shoreline, so the levee protection has to be a little
higher to take that into account and stronger to take the force of
impact from a wave.

As a civil engineer, I'd prefer if we would all stop talking about
categories of Saffir-Simpson and be specific about the actual design
central pressure, max. sustained wind speed, storm surge, wind
pressure, STORM PATH, and SPEED OF THE STORM ACROSS THE AREA.

Also, the creators of Saffir-Simpson said after Katrina, that these
were approximations and that perhaps they need to re-think the numbers
that fall in each category. In other words, maybe a Cat 3 storm
produces storm surges greater than 18 feet.

The way engineers and hydrologists decide on a design is to take the
actual reported data AFTER a storm, plug the numbers into the computer
models and physical models and see if the models produce the same
results as what actually happened with a real storm. As with any
science, it's trial and error to correlate the assumptions and computer
equations with real life and it takes several Betsys, Ivan, Georges,
Andrews, and Katrinas to refine it.

And one more thing that needs to be said. Typical residential
construction cannot withstand the 155 mph sustained winds and the
pressures of a Cat. 5 hurricane. Our homes might all be dry behind the
flood protection, BUT IT WILL BLOW APART. Evacuation should always be
recommended if you are in the eye wall of a Cat 3, 4, or 5. Keep in
mind that by the time you know the landfall path and the probable wind
speed and pressures, it will be too late to leave. And I say this as a
person who never had evacuated for a hurricane in nearly 50 years,
until Katrina.

Deborah Keller