[StBernard] Rebuilding New Orleans: Subsidence and Sea-Level Risearethe Greatest Threats

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Feb 6 21:38:03 EST 2006

Wendy writes: "I want to preface this message with a few things. Many on
this listserv don't know me, but I have lived in the greater New Orleans
area my whole life. EVERYTHING I know is in St. Bernard and in Louisiana. I
worked at the University of New Orleans in the Geography Dept. and had many
members showed me some of this data about two years ago. I was a
History/Political Science Major and love the rich history and texture of New
Orleans. I spent many of days taking carriage rides with my 14 yr old (God,
I'm getting old) teaching her the city like a tourist so that she would
always appreciate it's beauty and heritage. And it's knowing this that I
now put this thought out there, and it's not easy. I know many people have
begun working in there homes, however, I wonder if it's time to stop for a
minute and consider this- blow the levees at the ninth ward and let St.
Bernard fill in from the river."

***Wendy, firstly everyone along the river who depends upon commerce would
go up in arms. Not likely to happen. Even if it so, wouldn't 4 ft. of water
in each home destroy everything but the ceiling/attic and high pictures?
People would still need the FEMA trailers sitting in Arkansas and other
places waiting for an owner. :(

Ps. Don't recall you in poli-sci in the '80's...<G>.

jer