[StBernard] Organizations unite behind single board levee legislation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Feb 7 18:45:50 EST 2006

Organizations unite behind single board levee legislation

BATON ROUGE, LA - Citizen and business advocacy groups stood with Governor
Kathleen Babineaux Blanco and Senator Walter Boasso today, endorsing their
efforts to reorganize southeast Louisiana levee boards into one single
authority in Greater New Orleans.

Council for a Better Louisiana (CABL), Citizens for 1 Greater New Orleans,
Public Affairs Research Council of Louisiana, Inc. (PAR), the Louisiana
Association of Business and Industry (L.A.B.I.), the New Orleans Business
Council, and the Louisiana Home Builders Association announced their support
for Senate Bills 8 and 9 by Senator Walter Boasso. Representative Karen
Carter will carry the bills in the House.

"It's important to support this bill if you are concerned about public
safety, insurability and recovery. There is a large added bonus to passing
this bill. We risk losing $12 million in federal money if we fail to
consolidate these levee boards," said Governor Blanco. "The path to safety
and confidence lies with a unified approach to hurricane protection and
flood protection. This new board will give our citizens and our businesses
the confidence they need to rebuild and return."

"This next two weeks will be very critical in the future of Louisiana. Flood
waters don't discriminate. They don't know parish boundaries. Black, white,
rich or poor. We have come together to put forth a plan. A plan that works
for a whole region," said Senator Boasso. "We know that whatever is done in
one area can affect another. To the people who feel that they are safe, they
are only safe at this time because it wasn't their turn. It may be their
turn next time. We need to work together to protect everyone."

The Boasso bill creates the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority
which will provide governance of the fragmented system of levee management
in Southeast Louisiana. The single board will be focused on flood control
efforts for the region and will include representation from the eight parish
area. A majority of the Authority's board of commissioners will be made up
of engineers and professionals.

"The world is watching as Louisiana develops its policies for the future.
The state's economic survival depends on re-investment in the damaged
regions and increased investment elsewhere," said Public Affairs Research
Council Jim Brandt.

"Levee Board Consolidation legislation must be seen as a sound proposal that
will improve regional planning, depoliticize levee boards and make oversight
of the levees more professional," said Barry Erwin, President, Council for a
Better Louisiana.
Each of the organizations cited levee board reform as a necessary foundation
for the recovery of Greater New Orleans.

"Levee Board consolidation has become the battle cry for rebuilding New
Orleans," said Citizens for 1 Greater New Orleans Chairman Ruthie Freierson.

-30-

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org