[StBernard] Archdiocese to Close Some Parishes

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 9 18:58:40 EST 2006

The Roman Catholic Church in New Orleans is doing some downsizing. The
Archdiocese of New Orleans announced Thursday that they're closing seven
parishes.

"Those parishes will not reopen, but the congregations in those parishes
will be cared for by an adjacent parish," says Rev. William Maestri.

He says the archdiocese will re-evaluate their plan in eighteen months.

Parishes to be closed

St. Augustine - New Orleans

St. Peter Claver to assume territory. St. Augustine church will remain
open as place of worship.

St. John the Baptist - New Orleans

St. Patrick will assume territory. Parish will be closed but church
will be available for weddings and funerals.

St. Jude - Diamond

St. Patrick in Port Sulphur will assume territory.

St. Nicholas of Myra - Lake Catherine

St. Brigid, New Orleans will assume territory.

St. Phillip the Apostle - New Orleans

St. Mary of the Angels to assume territory.

St. Rose of Lima - New Orleans

Our Lady of the Rosary to assume territory.

St. Theresa Child of Jesus - New Orleans

Incarnate Word to assume territory.

Parishes not reopened at this time

Epiphany - New Orleans

Immaculate Heart of Mary - New Orleans

Incarnate Word - New Orleans

Our Lady of Good Counsel - New Orleans

Our Lady of Good Harbor - Buras

Our Lady of Lourdes - Violet

Our Lady Star of the Sea - New Orleans

Prince of Peace - Chalmette

Sacred Heart of Jesus - New Orleans

St. Bernard - St. Bernard

St. Brigid - New Orleans

St. David - New Orleans

St. Frances Cabrini - New Orleans

St. Louis de Marillac - Arabi

St. Mark - Chalmette

St. Monica - New Orleans

St. Patrick - Port Sulphur

St. Raphael the Archangel - New Orleans

St. Raymond - New Orleans

St. Robert Bellarmine, Arabi

St. Simon Peter - New Orleans

San Pedro Pescador, Florissant

Clustered Parishes

Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos - New Orleans

Pastoral care for Our Lady Star of the Sea

Corpus Christi - New Orleans

Pastoral care for Epiphany

Our Lady of Perpetual Help - Belle Chasse

Pastoral care for St. Patrick and Our Lady of Good Harbor

Our Lady of Prompt Succor - Chalmette

Pastoral care for Our Lady of Lourdes, Prince of Peace, St. Bernard,
St. Louise de Marillac, St. Mark, St. Robert Bellarmine and San Pedro
Pescador

St. Anthony of Padua - New Orleans

Pastoral care for Sacred Heart of Jesus

St. Francis de Sales - New Orleans

Pastoral care for St. Monica

St. James Major - New Orleans

Pastoral care for a portion of St. Raphael

St. Leo the Great - New Orleans

Pastoral care for St. Raymond and portions of St. Raphael and St.
Frances Cabrini

St. Maria Goretti - New Orleans

Pastoral care for Immaculate Heart of Mary, St. Simon Peter, and St.
Brigid.

St. Matthias - New Orleans

Pastoral care for Our Lady of Lourdes

St. Pius X - New Orleans

Pastoral care for portions of St. Raphael and St. Frances Cabrini

St. Rita - New Orleans

Pastoral care for Incarnate Word and St. Theresa Child of Jesus

St. Stephen - New Orleans

Pastoral care for our Lady of Good Counsel

----

Archdiocesan Elementary schools

Cathedral Academy
Holy Rosary (K-10)
St. Michael Special School

Parish Elementary schools

Christ the King
Holy Name of Jesus
Holy Name of Mary
Our Lady of Perpetual Help - Belle Chasse
Our Lady of Prompt Succor - Westwego
St. Alphonsus (early childhood)
St. Andrew the Apostle
St. Anthony - Gretna
St. Anthony of Padua - New Orleans
St. Cletus
St. Dominic
St. Joan of Arc - New Orleans
St. Pius X

Proposed Central Elementary Schools

Resurrection of Our Lord will reopen as soon as possible and serve
Immaculate Heart of Mary, St. Maria Goretti, St. Paul the Apostle, St. Simon
Peter and Mary Queen of Vietnam.

St. Leo will reopen as soon as possible and serve St. Frances Cabrini, St.
James Major and St. Raymond.

St. Rita New Orleans is open and will serve St. Monica.

St. Peter Claver is open and will serve Corpus Christi, St. Mary of the
Angels and St. David.

St. Stephen is open and will serve Holy Ghost and Our Lady of Lourdes, New
Orleans.

Our Lady of Prompt Succor, Chalmette will reopen as soon as possible and
serve Our Lady of Lourdes, Violet; Prince of Peace; San Pedro Pescador; St.
Bernard; St. Louise de Marillac; St. Mark; St. Maurice and St. Robert
Bellarmine.

Religious-sponsored elementary schools

Academy of the Sacred Heart
Christian Brothers
Holy Cross Middle
Ursuline Academy

Religious-sponsored secondary schools

Academy of the Sacred Heart
Brother Martin
Cabrini High School
De La Salle High School
Holy Cross School
Jesuit High School
MAX (St. Mary's Academy, Xavier Prep and St. Augustine)
Mount Carmel Academy
St. Mary's Dominican High School
Ursuline Academy