[StBernard] A letter to an Editor

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 16 00:21:05 EST 2006

This is a letter I wrote to a local newspaper Editor who ran an editorial
doubting the willingness of local Gov'ts in South Louisiana to recieve
mobile homes from FEMA. I am also sending him the report of the great
trailer snatch by our Parish Gov't. officials. Let's see what response I
get! With your forbearance, here is my letter:

Hello Mr. Minor,
I had surgery this week so please forgive me for writing to you so late
after your editorial ran about the FEMA trailer conumdrum here in our
region, i.e. the hundreds of FEMA trailers left to rot in Texarkana and
Hope, AR. In your editorial you said that it was your understanding that
local gov'ts in South Louisiana were unwilling to locate FEMA trailers in
their Parishes. May I direct your attention to St.Bernard Parish and it's
ongoing fight to survive after almost total devastation from Hurricane
Katrina? St.Bernard Parish is located just downriver from New Orleans. It
was about 95% destroyed by this hurricane. Like the rest of Louisiana, it
has always been independent from the much publicised events happening in
Orleans Parish with the exception that the final battle of the War of 1812
was won by Andrew Jackson within it's borders in the town of Chalmette.
This battle ultimately saved the Louisiana Purchase for the new U.S.A.

My point in writing to you today is that I would like to direct you to a
website for St.Bernard Parish residents. www.Da-Parish.com
<http://www.da-parish.com/> This website provides current information
from the Parish gov't as well as providing a forum for questions answered by
Craig Taffaro, a councilman of the local Parish gov't. I think this site
would give you invaluable insight into the daily struggle to survive that
residents outside of the much touted French Quarter and Garden District of
New Orleans are facing.

And if I may, I will send an article covering the actual theft of parked but
impounded FEMA trailers sitting within the borders of St.Bernard Parish
itself. This "theft" was perpetrayed by members of this Parish's governing
body itself just to get the attention of FEMA (Fix Everything My Ass) and to
further show how ready the Parish is to set up and recieve such assistance.
Please don't base your future opinions on superficial news reports. Every
town, every Parish OUTSIDE of the City of New Orleans has it's own story to
tell of it's struggle to survive. And we all, as decent Americans deserve
to be heard.

Sincerely,
Penny Tassin
Linden, Texas