[StBernard] None So Blind

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 1 20:00:24 EST 2006

Dave, You are correct. "Once bitten - twice shy?" How about an exponential
of 1000x's?? It just seems that "erroring on the side of caution" is very
short of what it should be: "Erroring on the side of safety, common-sense,
and logic. Those who are not in allegiance to history repeating itself,
would surely find themselves in as a part of repetition of history. To me,
there WAS no greater place to live than St. Bernard Parish. But, that
chapter of history (as in the Movie, "The Way it Was!")has been written,
fulfilled and closed. Fortunately, good memories are great to have. Sports,
family outings in the parish, and some really good people's companies. All
are changed by a lighting bolt called Katrina.

The parish will be rebuilt, no doubt. With most of our friends, relatives,
etc. separated this time. No degree of effort, expense, or levee will keep
one secure during hurricane season.

My wife (in her grand degree of naiveness) said it amusingly, but in this
statement didn't realize the scope now that she's in depression, shock and
confusion:

She said, "Why don't they just move St. Bernard Parish over across to the
northshore? There's plenty of square miles they can move the people."

I couldn't agree with her more, because in her innocence and wisdom, I
thought about it for a moment and wondered, "Why not? Folks would be safer,
still be in hunting, fishing, sports, etc..? They would be safer and have
lots more to do.

Then, I rethought: "Gawd, the prices of properties are 20x the value of my
now $20,000 home and land that I can now afford thanks to Katrina.

Oh, the inhumanity of it all...Were we cursed because of Katrina and our
sinful ways OR were we blessed as now we were in the mist of now being in
good company, "The meek shall inherit the earth". ?? I wonder...

-jer-

Jer,
I've been saying what you stated since the very beginning but some people
will never listen. The sad part is that some people put the health,and
possibly life, of their children at risk. Even if you're not sure you err on
the side of caution. In the end the parents will make the decision and the
children will have to go along with it. What a shame!!!
St, Bernard 'WAS" a great place to live and the people made it great but
many,if not most, won't return. When you're in your 60's you don't want to
start over but there isn't much choice. With kids in your home there is NO
choice.

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks,