[StBernard] Grant/Buyout Question

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Mar 5 11:03:08 EST 2006

I have a question regarding the buyout and grant money. Say a person had a
home valued at 100,000 pre-Katrina. If they received 120,000 in insurance
proceeds for the dwelling itself, are they even eligible for grant money?
What about the parish buyout plan? It seems that insurance proceeds will be
deducted from any grant or buyout money, so if you were insured for more
than your house was worth, what do you do? If the parish decides to make
your property green space, how much would they give you for your property?
Also, I'd like to make a comment regarding all the insurance talk. Lately,
it seems that people are attacking each other for having or not having
insurance. The bottom line is that for whatever reason, you either had
flood insurance or you didn't.
There is nothing you can do about it now! I think all these attacks are
ridiculous and petty. If you had flood insurance, count your blessings. If
not, learn from the past. That's all any of us can do.

Angel Steinmann