[StBernard] Just Wanna Go HOME

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Apr 24 21:27:13 EDT 2006

Just wanna go home!

When talking with a stranger, he said he felt my pain

Cause years before Katrina, he lost his house in flames.

I thanked the man with half a smile, for all of his kind words,

But pardon me for saying sir, the comparison is absurd.

When you lost your precious home, in that horrible burning flare,

I know that you will tell me, that all your friends were there.

To say that I had help was further from the truth,

You see all of my friends had water to their roofs.

And let me ask you sir, when you finally did rebound,

The community you loved so much....was it still around?

Your church, your grocery, the guy who cuts your hair...

I'll bet when you moved back, all of it was there.

You see, everything dear to me, that I loved the most,

Is history forever - my community is a ghost.

Just a small dinner out, in yes....a brand new place,

My husband and I always search, for a familiar face.

We know we won't see one, as we have our meal alone...

Cause all of these faces, have also found new homes.

I thanked him anyway as we passed on our goodbyes,

But I know he could tell by the tears in my eyes,

That so small will be, his story of tragedy

After the long lecture that he received from me.

I hope he thinks of me, as he's washing his new car,

And says hello to his neighbor, who's gardening from afar.

And when he sits in church, and looks from left to right

He'll nod to all of his friends, that he's known all his life.

So carry on, Dear Sir with your neighbors and your friends,

And pray for everyone, that this never happens again.

Cause all us folks from St. Bernard, who are in a delicate state,

If another storm heads our way - It will be more than we could take.

(Someone sent this to me - thought it was nice ).