[StBernard] Senate panel recommends abolishing FEMA

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Apr 28 23:24:04 EDT 2006

I disagree, Westley. FEMA has lost the trust in people and their lives were
duly impacted by the failure. An organization either has to be build from
the ground up or an already existing, proven organization which has a good,
working track record to assure that things will be productive, reliable and
effective.

Yes, changing a name won't help. Yet, we can't fire bureaucrats of the
powers that be either. However, I'm sure that the USA can produce a working
and effective security/emergency preparedness system and must in order to
secure our American people during catastrophes (with many more yet to come).
After a full investigation by our government/senators/House, and/or
committees, the result will provide more safeguards, etc.

What we found out during this failure was that we are not invinciple (much
like 9/11 unwrapped our weaknesses in our airline and homeland security
system). It seems that each time that we have a different kind of tragedy,
we're having to go back to the drawing board to ensure that revamping a
weakened system will soon be a reliable one.

When things are so complex as what we faced, we're bound to have kinks in
the system. FEMA had SEAMS, CRACKS, AND CRUMBLES. Unacceptable. A new
national preparedness will be created and will be directly
responsible/answerable in communicating with the President. It will be
within the Homeland Security realm <creating from the ground up).

We need the protection whereas regional strike teams with representatives of
all Federal agencies to be there for us. can be made available immmediately
and not wait a week to get to our people. It will be a far more adhesive and
affective response team to replace FEMA. Protection is adamant and is vital
to our safety during (and yes there will be more) emergencies/disasters
whether it be hurricanes or from terrorists. We shall see..

-Jer-