[StBernard] Letter from Chancellor Ryan

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Apr 29 23:01:04 EDT 2006

For any UNO alumns or students or potential students, from Chancellor Ryan.

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:45:34 -0500
From: UNO Public Relations <pr at UNO.EDU>
Subject: Letter from Chancellor Ryan
To: ALUMNIVOICE-L at LISTSERV2.UNO.EDU

To: The University of New Orleans Community

From: Chancellor Timothy Ryan

During the last eight months many of you have generously asked what
you can do to assist in the recovery of the New Orleans area. I have a very
simple request that could have a tremendous impact on higher education, the
safety of our region and the rebuilding of our community and neighborhoods.

Next week, the U.S. Senate will continue its debate on the Emergency
Supplemental Appropriations Bill (HR 4939). This bill contains $106.5
billion in emergency spending, but most importantly provides up to $800
million in higher education bridge loans and $30 million for grants to
institutions of higher education.

As the Senate continues its debate, we need the help of the
University community in passing this bill. I am asking you to contact your
friends and relatives from other states who have U.S. Senators on the
Appropriations Committee or the Committee on Health, Education, Labor and
Pensions. To view a full listing of the Senate members on these committees,
please visit the U.S. Senate Appropriations web site at
http://appropriations.senate.gov <http://appropriations.senate.gov/> .
Contact information for each member can be obtained by clicking on the
member's picture. Members of the Committee on Health, Education, Labor and
Pension can be found by scrolling to the end of the page. Please ask your
friends and relatives to contact their offices by phone or e-mail with the
following message: "Please support the Emergency Supplemental
Appropriations Bill" for Katrina relief which includes bridge loan relief
and grants money for higher education institutions affected by Hurricanes
Katrina and Rita.

I am also asking you to contact our Louisiana Senators Mary Landrieu
and David Vitter to thank them for their continued efforts to provide
hurricane relief to the New Orleans institutions. Senator Landrieu may be
reached at 202-224-5824. Senator Vitter can be reached at 202-224-4623.

Please send an e-mail to Rachel Kincaid, Director of Federal Affairs
at rkincaid at uno.edu <mailto:rkincaid at uno.edu> letting us know you
participated. Please include your name, the name of each senator contacted
and any relevant information.

Thank you for assisting us in securing this much needed funding for
the University of New Orleans. I assure you that each and every phone call
or e-mail message is important to our efforts and will serve to remind key
Senate members of how critical the higher education community is to
rebuilding the Greater New Orleans area.