[StBernard] lime and fish

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 12 23:34:08 EDT 2006

I doubt Wesley will post this, however...my moods seems to swing so many
ways these days. I was going to ask Deborah, can't we just squeeze some
juice from them from when we have cocktails?

Just kidding and thanks for the advice. I always had a firm (so I thought)
agreement with "wildlife" at home. You stay on the other side of my
protective fence and wire-mesh below the fence and you can do as you wish.
Once you are on the inside, it's a different ballgame. Pre-K we were having
trouble with possums coming into the yard. I would let the doxy out at
night and soon hear her barking her head off. Would go outside and there
was a possum in the back yard that Chloe was trying to tree. Well, I had a
.22 rifle and 9mm pistol. Not ideal for hitting the thing when it was
climbing up the fence and heading toward the neighbor's yard. I called him
and said the possum was on his fence. He was upset because something had
been getting his satsumas off his 2 trees. Neighbor said that if I heard a
"noise" not to be alarmed. Well, a minute or two later I didn't hear a
noise, I heard a BOOM. Called him and he said the 12 gauge took care of the
possum.

JY

One of the construction workers at my house who has a large farm on
the
Northshore said the way to keep snakes off my property is to put a
lime
barrier. We bought a bag of lime at a Jefferson feed store and will
try
sprinking it along our borders this weekend. Several times a week we
have
to kill visiting small snakes venturing out from the adjacent homes'
pools
and jungle-looking yards. Home Depot and Ace do not sell it. Better
and
safer than mothballs and most mothballs these days do not contain
naptha,
anyway.

Also, how can St. Bernard residents get the mosquito eating fish
that St.
Tammany and Orleans Parishes are giving out? The mosquitoes are
awful and
it's coming from the swimming pools and debris holding water.
I'll buy the fish if I knew where to get them and introduce them to
some
cement ponds. If someone was looking to start a small business,
import the
mosquito-eating fish to the parish and sell it to us. Can't cost
much, and
sell bags of lime, too.

Ddk