[StBernard] debris

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed May 31 10:21:00 EDT 2006

Debra, it would be hard-pressed to find someone available in our area with
so much wisdom/inspiration as yourself. I applaud you and would certain like
to see you run for Parish President/Council at the next election. I'd be
willing to bet you'd walk away hands down, considering what's available
these days.

How is it, that this needed bit of wisdom is not available to others when
it's so transparent and obvious what is needed.

Remember, wood, pieces of debris, paper and content will fly in a tropical
storm. I'd be willing to bet trailers's thin walls can't withstand a 2x4
missile traveling at the velocity of 73 MPH.

Where's the logic when it's needed?

==best, and good luck on your election <G>.. .. Jer

Congratulations to all our officials who have gotten us to the point that
cleanup on state highways will commence and for creating a process at least
for qualified businesses to get their debris picked up. What about the
state contract for abandoned cars?? Has anyone seen any announcement on that
starting in the parish? What about the parish's contractor fixing street
lights in the subdivision? Has anyone seen any street lights being repaired
in the subdivisions yet?

URG is not moving enough debris given that hurricane season starts this week
and we have a 30% chance of a Cat 1 storm. Imagine what a Cat 1 storm will
do to the debris that is out there now. FEMA wants to spend millions on
mitigation. What better mitigation for a future storm than rushing to get
debris off the streets and lawns and stop worrying about who has insurance
and who doesn't, which is new construction debris and what is storm debris,
etc?

Also, Craig, those who are in the original oil spill area seem to STILL be
hung up with URG not picking up debris because they think it's Murphy and
Murphy not picking up debris because it doesn't appear to be the contents
from in a house. We all have roofing, fencing, grass, trash, wind debris,
etc. out on the curbs and at least on my street, I haven't seen any debris
trucks of any kind in over a month on my block.
Please express this at the disaster recovery meeting this week.

Also, seems that since the disaster meeting minutes started getting posted
publicly, there are a lot of "no change" comments and that the minutes
aren't as detailed as the first few you posted, which were real eye-openers.
I'd like to know if these are open meetings that any citizen can attend or
not, or if I as a planning commissioner may attend.

Thanks, Deborah Keller