[StBernard] Removing slab

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jun 3 17:26:02 EDT 2006

That is not good news in regards to the value of the lot of demolition. The
value of a lot with the entire slab removed will definitely have more value
because it has greater potential of being sold and the buyer having the
option of building what he/she wants. Now, I have heard people say they
believe leaving the slab makes in easier and less costly for someone to
build on. Unfortunately, the only people I've heard say that are the
property owners trying to sell their property - I'm yet to hear a potential
buyer express that.

Pulling up a slab is not easy or cheap. And to make the problem worse, many
demolition crews tear into a house like yahoo cowboys not having any concern
if they crack or damage the slab. So now the problem is compounded if they
leave the slab and damaged. If there was any chance someone might buy your
lot actually wanting to build upon the old slab, then that's out the window
- and either you (as the seller) have to spend a lot of money out of your
pocket to have the slab pulled, or you have to significantly lower your
selling price so the buyers can absorb the expense.

I guess what my Dad taught me as a kid was true...there's a thousand ways to
do something the wrong way, but only one right way to do it. If you are
opting to demolish your home, do everythng you can to see the that the slab
also is removed - unless you already have a buyer and they want the slab.
But then you need to be there when they demolish the house to express your
concerns about the crew not damaging the slab. And that is my professional
opinion.

John Scurich
Certified Real Estate Appraiser